STRAVA Summary

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Prep for O24

It's the Wednesday before O24 and I've just got my last run in, a 10k at a fairly quick pace. Not sure why I was running quick as )24 won't be quick.
O24 or Outrun 24 hour endurance run is held in Kirtland, Ohio and this will be the 3rd year of "running" this event and my second time there. I met the race director Zack Johnson while running Green Jewel the year he was preparing to put on the first O24 and invited to come down. Unfortunately I had already committed to Pick Your Poison and couldn't make the inaugural event. It has been held the same weekend as PYP each year. So I told him I would definitely make it for 2013. It was a great event held in a nice wooded park on a 1 mile trail loop with one significant hill in the middle. I dropped at 13 hours last year after getting in 100k. Although I was disappointed in not getting 100 miles in, I was looking at the bigger picture. I had a few knee issues the seemed to be getting worse as the race went on so with the Mid west Grand Slam on the horizon I thought it prudent to cut it "short". What made it more special though was Joan coming up with just over 100k to get in more than double her previous best mileage.
This year we committed to head down again and race and run with lots of friends we have made in north east Ohio, who we haven't seen in a quite a while.
The build up to O24 has been fairly good. While not getting in much long distance runs, I have been getting in lots of weekly mileage with many back to back long runs, culminating in the past weekends 85k. A couple of races thrown in for good measure have me feeling fairly good. Just the usual right leg issues which don't seem to bother me as much in long, long events.
Around the Bay was a surprise to be involved in and cam e up with a good race there. Then last week I did the Marden Marathon, actually a half. Not sure why they insist on calling it a Marathon. It was a good little event on a tough rolling hill course with some good climbs thrown in for good measure. Came out with a 1:34, which I was very pleased with.
So Friday we are off to Ohio. Joan is injured after fracturing a rib in a fall on some ice a few weeks ago, but is intent on getting some mileage in regardless, even if it is all walking.
We both have races the falling week too. Joan is off with her girls to run the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati, where she is also supposed to run the 5k and 10k too, to complete the triple.
I wil be off to Bear Mountain, NY for the North Face 50 mile race. Hopefully I can recover in time.

No comments: